Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Scarf in a Day

I got a request last Thanksgiving for a red scarf. It wasn't gonna happen for Christmas last year, but I kept it in mind for this year.

Enough so that I had three different scarves' worth of red yarn floating around the stash by the time the fall semester started. I tried two or three different patterns, but nothing was working. I was totally going to punt it. But when I woke up on the morning of our Christmas trip, I packed the bulkiest of the red scarf yarns and size 13 needles. I cast on as we were leaving Indianapolis and had 2/3 of it done by the time I took over driving. The last third was accomplished in the evening and the next morning, making this an awesome quick project.

Scarf-in-a-Day:

CO 18 stitches.
Rows 1-11: (K1,P1) across.
Row 12: Slip 6 stitches to a cable needle and hold in front. (K1,P1) 3 times. (K1,P1) 3 times from the cable needle, then (K1,P1) to the end.
Rows 13-23: (K1,P1) across.
Row 24: (K1,P1) 3 times. Slip 6 stitches to a cable needle and hold in back. (K1,P1) 3 times, then (K1,P1) 3 times from the cable needle.

I did this with two skeins of Lion Brand Alpine Wool, and ended up with a scarf probably 5 inches across and a touch less than 5 feet long.

IMG_0945

I'm kind of wanting to make another now. Fun!

1 comment:

laurie said...

Hey, that is so cool, thanks for posting pattern---I might try one!