Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Fuzzy green snowflakes

I cast on my Norwegian Mittens for the Strikke-along last night. I never did get yarn for it, so I just pulled some stuff from the stash. Classic Elite Lush in lime green and black. Worsted weight on size 4 needles, it's actually not bad. Very soft, but the stitch pattern is going to look fuzzy, with it being an angora blend. The first cuff went very fast. You can see my crappy job of weaving the i-cord at the back.



I was getting through the cuff and trying to decide whether I wanted to do the snowflake design or the winter spruce. I was leaning toward the spruce, since I'd wound up with green yarn, but I really like the snowflakes better. Since it was about 1:30 in the morning, I'd had some wine, and my husband was subjecting me to his favorite episode of Married With Children ever, I was in a goofy place, and decided to go with green snowflakes and call them Nuclear Winter Mittens.

Chris then started telling me what snowflakes would actually be like in a nuclear winter (i.e., not green), but we eventually agreed that if we mispronounced nuclear, we could also have green snow. Therefore, these are my Nuke-ular Winter mittens.

***

Fall is coming. The light is changing, I can feel the world getting greyer, and I'm waiting for the fall colors. Fall up here is gorgeous, brilliant and spectacular in a way it's not back home, where every other tree doesn't turn. I'd be glad to have it, but I still feel like I missed summer somehow. I'm going further north this weekend, and I hope some good math will come of it. Meanwhile, I think it'll be good to just get away for a few days.

No comments: